Real Estate Glossary Letter :  B

Real Estate Glossary Letter : B



BACKFILL – To sand fill any remaining space after the installation of concrete, brickwork, timber or pipes in an excavation.

BACKING – Strengthening frame timber installed between the wall studs on framed building construction. The backing provides additional support for the drywall and serves as a surface on which interior trims such as brackets, towel bars and cabinets can be mounted.

BAGGING – A method of finishing brickwork involving the application of a thin mortar slurry using a hessian bag or sponge. Can be painted over or left to fade in an oxide finish. Usually completed by the bricklayer. Bagging varies in texture & colour greatly and is not uniform like render.

BALANCE OF DEPOSIT – When the deposit is agreed to paid in two parts, this is the amount left to pay (after the initial payment) prior to the end of the cooling-off period.

BALLOON LOAN – A mortgage with a larger-than-usual payment due upon maturity. The homeowner pays a series of lower monthly payments before the large lump sum payment in the end.

BALUSTER – Also, called spindle or stair stick—is a moulded shaft, square or of lathe-turned form, a form cut from a rectangular or square plank, one of various forms of spindle in woodwork, made of stone or wood and sometimes of metal, standing on a unifying footing, and supporting the coping of a parapet or the handrail of a staircase. Multiplied in this way, they form a balustrade.

BALUSTRADE – A railing supported by balusters that is designed to protect people from falling from an elevated height. Often seen on balconies, bridges or terraces.

BANKRUPTCY – The legal financial state an individual is in, when unable to meet debts. For Companies, it’s known as being ‘Wound-up’. A debtor may be declared bankrupt by the Federal Court at either the debtors or the creditor’s instigation, and the debtors’ estate will be placed in the hands of an official receiver who will distribute the estate in accordance with the provisions of the Bankruptcy Act.

BANK VALUATION – This is a written estimation of the value of the property, carried out by a qualified Bank Valuer.

BARGE BOARD – A decorative board that covers the projecting roof timbers on the gable or skillion end of a roof.

BASIS POINT – One percent (1%) is the equivalent of 100 basis points.

BATT – A section of insulation material (either fiberglass or rock-wool); “faced” batt refers to a section with a paper covering on one side. Batt can also be used to refer to a portion of a brick.

BATTEN – Narrow strips of wood used to cover joints between boards or plywood; sometimes used decoratively.

BAY WINDOW – A window that projects outward from the wall of a building, thus forming a “bay” inside the room. They are typically used to increase the amount of natural light coming into the room so it appears larger.

BEAM – A horizontal, load-bearing structural member; sometimes called a girder.

BEARER – A sub-floor structural timber member which supports the floor joists.

BEDROCK – A consolidated rock layer typically found underneath layers of soil and other unconsolidated material.

BID – A verbal or written offer to purchase. Usually referred to a certain price nominated by the buyer at auction.

BIFOLD DOORS – Doors hinged in the middle, allowing them to open in smaller spaces. Often used for closets and cupboards or exterior access.

BILLS OF SALE – A mortgage of personal property – eg chattels or other goods for the purpose of securing the payment of a debt.

BIT – An interchangeable cutting tool fitted in the chuck of a drill, used to create cylindrical holes. Bits come in many sizes.

BLOW-IN INSULATION – Fibreglass or cellulose insulation material in loose form; used in ceilings and existing walls with unexposed framing members.

BODY CORPORATE – (a) A term used in the Strata Titles Act to describe the body representing the building owners; (b) The control and administration of common property is vested in a statutory Body Corporate which comes into existence automatically on the registration of the plan, and to which the provisions of the Companies Act do not apply. The registered proprietors of the units are the only members of the Body Corporate. Associated rights and obligations are fixed by scheduled by-laws.

BOND (RENTAL) – Consideration held usually under a lease to ensure performance of lease terms and conditions. Normally refundable if possession of the property is returned in good condition.

BOND OR BONDING – The way bricks fit together in a wall. There are two main categories of brick bonds: solid wall bonds and hollow wall bonds.

BOUNDARY CONSTRUCTION – Building work on the boundary of the allotment and the neighbouring one; for example, a garage wall. Often also called a parapet wall.

BOX GUTTERr –  A roof guttering which is not on the exterior edge of the roof.

BREACH OF CONTRACT – The breaking of one or more of the terms or conditions of a contract.

BRACE – An inclined piece of framing timber applied to a floor or wall as a temporary support while framing is in progress.

BRICK – Used on outer wall of brick veneer homes. Made of clay and fired in a kiln. May vary in colour and a wide range of types and textures are available. This outer wall is not load bearing but is cladding or “skin” only.

BRICK CONSTRUCTION – Often referred to as Solid Brick Construction – A building with external and internal walls made of brick.

BRICK TIE – A small piece of corrugated metal strip used to hold the brick veneer wall to the frame of the building, or the two leaves of brickwork together.

BRICK VENEER – A system of building in which a structural timber frame is tied to a single brick external wall.

BRICKWORK – is masonry produced by a bricklayer, using bricks and mortar. Typically, rows of bricks, called courses are laid on top of one another to build up a structure such as a brick wall.

  • Stretcher or Stretching brick – A brick laid flat with its long narrow side exposed.\
  • Header or Heading brick – A brick laid flat with its width exposed.
  • Soldier – A brick laid vertically with its long narrow side exposed.
  • Sailor – A brick laid vertically with the broad face of the brick exposed.
  • Rowlock – A brick laid on the long narrow side with the short end of the brick exposed.
  • Shiner or Rowlock Stretcher – A brick laid on the long narrow side with the broad face of the brick exposed.

BRIDGING LOAN or FINANCE– A short-term loan, usually at a higher rate of interest, taken out by people who have bought a house while waiting for theirs to be sold, or when a normal mortgage and their savings fall below the asking price.

BUILDERS IMDEMNITY INSURANCE – A policy to protect the building owner in case the home builder is unable to complete the work or rectify faulty work. It also protects the owner should the builder die, disappear, or declare bankruptcy. Only a licensed contractor, not owner builders, can take out and pay for this type of insurance. Domestic building work that has a designated minimum cost and requires council approval are eligible for this insurance, such as constructing a house, adding an extension, or carrying out renovations.

BUILDING BY-LAWS – Regulations set down by local authorities to govern how a structure may be built or modified.

BUILDING CODE OF AUSTRALIA – Sets minimum community standards for buildings in terms of health, safety and amenity in buildings for regulatory purposes.

BUILDING CONSULTANT – An expert experienced in designing and/or constructing a building. When employing an expert for a pre-purchase report on a property, you should ask whether he or she has indemnity insurance to cover any serious omissions about building defects not covered in the report. A building consultant is not required to be registered.

BUILDING ENVELOPE – The area in which a house must be constructed within a site. The local authority (council) setbacks and plot ratios usually determine the envelope for a particular block; moving or enlarging it is subject to the approval of a council application.

BUILDING INSPECTOR – An authorised person who is responsible for checking buildings in the course of construction and completed buildings to ensure that they have been constructed in accordance with building control provisions.

BUILDING LINE – The setback from the site boundary required by statutory authorities for buildings.

BUILDING PERMITS– A permit issued by Local Government Authorities for the erection or structural alternations of all structures.

BUILDING REGULATIONS – The Building Code of Australia and other regulations stipulated by local authorities relating to the design and construction of buildings.

BUILDING RESTRICTIONS – Planning and development controls that limit the use, size and location of buildings or other improvements on the land.

BUILDING TRADES – All trades related to construction, such as carpentry, brickwork, painting, plumbing and so on.

BULKHEAD – Lowered portion of a ceiling usually to hide a beam, a drainage pipe or as a decorative feature.

BUSINESS BROKER – An estate agent licensed and certified to sell businesses.

BUSINESS DAY – Means Monday to Friday excluding gazetted public holidays for the State.

BUTT HINGE – The most common type of door hinges. It has two leaves: one attaches to the doorjamb, the other to the door’s edge.utt joint

BUTT JOINT – The junction between two sheets of drywall or two pieces of timber; also refers to materials joined end-to-end or end-to-edge with no overlap.

BUYER – The person buying a property. Also referred to as a purchaser.

BUYER’S MARKET – The condition which exists when, under competitive conditions, the pressures of supply and demand are such that market prices are at a relatively low level, giving the buyer an advantage. An over-supply causing prices to decline.

BUYER’S ADVOCATE or AGENT – Represents a property buyer in negotiations with a vendor or his/her agent. The buyer’s agent is paid by the buyer. Buyer’s agents should be licensed and certified to act as a buyer’s agent.

Designed by Rayantaban